Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

3.07.2012

Paleo Crock Pot Lamb and Peppers


As I mentioned a few posts ago, I gave up grain and refined sugar for lent.  To make this easier I've been following a paleo diet meal plan from paleoplan.com, and I have to say I'm am loving it 99% of the time... the 1% I don't like it is when I'm checking out at the store, it's not a cheap way to eat.  But I guess no "diet" (in the "what I eat" sense, not the "I'm following some fad to loose weight" sense) is perfect.  But besides the cost, eating paleo has saved me so much time on planning and prep, all of the meals have been more than satisfactory to pretty much the entire family (this is the first time I've modified my diet and included the whole family).



Lamb was on the menu this week, a meat my husband was SURE he didn't like.  Turned out he thought that meat they slice onto your gyro is lamb.  I mean, it is, but it isn't JUST lamb, it's got seasonings and other stuff in it as well.  And I believe we need to get more variety in our diets not just with the vegetation, but with the meats (how many different kinds of meat do you eat?  Let me guess, three... four if you count fish and seafood) and grains, if you are eating grain.  Thankfully I found some lovely grass fed lamb stew meat last week.

The Paleo Plan recipe essentially called for sauteeing the lamb and adding peppers, and that's pretty much it.  I decided to modify the recipe for a few reasons.

First, somewhere this week I saw a recipe for gluten free biscuits and gravy.  Definately not paleo, but I did glean from that recipe a way to make paleo gravy.

Second, we had plans tonight and the weather was amazing all day.  I wanted to spend all afternoon outside, but had to have dinner ready in time to eat before we left.

So I adapted, and here is what I came up with.

Paleo Crock Pot Lamb and Peppers
Serves 2 with leftovers if served with a vegetable side or 4 with a vegetable side and rice (which wouldn't be paleo of course, but you don't have to be paleo to use this recipe!)
  • 2lbs lamb stew meat
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup chicken, beef, or lamb stock (I used a demi glace chicken stock, or stock that has been reduced by half)
  • 3 or 4 peppers
Drain stew meat if necessary and pat dry with a paper towel.  In a medium bowl mix arrowroot flour, salt and pepper, thyme, and garlic powder.  Toss stew meat in flour mixture until coated (but it doesn't have to be perfect... in fact you could do this step in your crock pot if you want to save a dish).  Put meat in crock and pour stock over top.  Slice the peppers into strips (like you would for fajitas or pepper steak) and place on top of the meat- do not stir yet!  Turn crock pot on low (to cook for 4 hours) or high (to cook faster... but I don't know how much faster because I used low).  Three hours later stir the peppers into the meat and sauce mixture, replace lid, and allow to finish cooking.

I was exceedingly happy with how this turned out- unlike any thickened sauce dish I have ever attempted in the crock pot in the past, the long cooking time didn't make the arrowroot gravy go watery.  It possibly could have used a tad more seasoning, but it was my first time cooking lamb and I wanted to make sure I could taste the meat.  My kids liked the meat, but not the peppers, and my husband said it was "meh" but he has the palate of a radiation victim.

This recipe is included in Real Food Wednesday @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Traditional Tuesdays @ Whole New Mom.

2 comments:

andrew siddle said...

Thanks for a great diet blog, found it very informative.


thepaleo diet

Paleo Weight Loss Coach said...

I've tried the paleo plans too and follow the paleo diet myself. The lamb crockpot meal looks awesome! Don't you just love your crockpot? I do, it saves time and energy and often makes meals you can freeze :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...